The immune system is a collection of cells, tissues, organs and enzymes that work together to protect the body from disease-causing microorganisms. Immune system is in two categories which are;
The innate immune system:This is a first line of defense.
Adaptive immune system: This is more specialized and targeted.
The two systems work together to keep us healthy by identifying and fighting off harmful invaders.
Age, diet, sleep, stress as well as exercise can affect the way immune system works.
Food and drinks that can boost immune system are;
- Garlic:This is a good immune-boosting food. It is a good source allicin. Allicin is a compound that has been shown to stimulate the production of white blood cells, which fight infection.
- Ginger : Ginger is an immune booster because of its high level of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. Turmeric is another spice that has powerful immune-boosting properties.
- Green tea:This is another drink that has been shown to help boost the immune system because of its high level of catechins which are antioxidants that can fight off viruses and bacteria.
- Citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruits, and lemons are good source of vitamin C, which is an important nutrient for immune health.
- Probiotic-rich foods such as yogurt, kimchi, and sauerkraut can help to support a healthy gut microbiome, which can in turn boost the immune system.
- Broccoli: This also helps in boosting our immune system.
- Getting enough sleep is very important for our immune system.
- Exercise: This help to circulate white blood cells throughout the body system.
- By reducing stress can also help the immune system function better. Stress can suppress the immune system, so finding ways to relax and manage stress can be beneficial.